Translate

Tuesday 29 October 2019

New top story on Hacker News: Ask HN: I'm losing faith in all we've invested in Apple software, what do I do?

Ask HN: I'm losing faith in all we've invested in Apple software, what do I do?
3 by hellofunk | 0 comments on Hacker News.
The latest rounds of bugs in both macOS and iOS are so severe that it is crippling the productivity of some employees in my business (all-remote) who either can't see emails because of bugs like this one [0] (which is also affecting me now for a few weeks and is extremely annoying), or problems with Catalina preventing a solid WiFi connection, and many others. The bugs are so extreme, and Apple is mute on most of them, pointing us to very generic FAQs that have nothing to do with the problems, rather than acknowledging and trying to work with the community to address them. I fear this is just the beginning of a new era of problems with Apple software, like the company has become so big and successful it is falling into the traps that hit Microsoft two decades ago that caused so many people to move to OSX and Linux in the first place (among other reasons). The problem is, we've invested so much in Apple technologies, workflows, the ecosystem, that I don't know if we should just wait it out and keep our fingers crossed, or make a dedicated effort to become less reliant on any single tech provider. I strongly fear that this is a new reality and will be a pattern for a long time. I'm sure we aren't alone with this -- any thoughts from others? [0] https://ift.tt/2q0Yjci