Translate

Thursday 27 February 2020

New top story on Hacker News: Ask HN: How do I help my Indian coworker get a raise?

Ask HN: How do I help my Indian coworker get a raise?
15 by ShowMeTheRupees | 10 comments on Hacker News.
I have an Indian colleague who is smart, articulate, and very technically capable. His work products are excellent, and he’s a delight to work with. I recently learned that he has not gotten a raise in the time he has worked for our present employer, in spite of his increasing responsibility and consistent good results. When I probed him on why, and why he hasn’t been negotiating for one, he explained to me that he is dependent on our employer for his visa. My understanding is that it’s very challenging to both change jobs and stay in the USA under this visa due to the burden placed on the employer to get this visa. Strategically, that puts him in a really bad negotiating position: ultimate leverage over your employer in this scenario stems from the threat (implied or not) that you might leave. This appears to be a trump card he doesn't have in his hand, as he wants to stay in the US. What can I do to coach him to getting paid more? What sort of strategy can he use to show his value and demonstrate his leverage?